Year 8 Options
During the Spring of Year 8 your son will choose the subjects he wishes to study at Key Stage 4 in addition to the core subjects of English, Mathematics, Science, and Physical Education.
He will need to choose four further subjects, plus reserve subjects, and will need to think carefully about this, and speak to lots of different people. What does he enjoy? What is he good at? What does he want to do when he leaves school? Has he thought about a career? Click here for information about Adviza Careers service.
We encourage boys who are aspiring for places at university to study for The English Baccalaureate, meaning he will need to choose a modern foreign language and Geography or History, or both. Whilst this is encouraged, we recognise that each student will have his own particular strengths, talents and areas of interest. We strongly urge all students to opt for a range of courses to support their future progression rather than following a narrow field.
The options process runs throughout the Spring term of Year 8 and includes an information evening for parents as well as the publication of our Options Booklet and our popular Options Event – a chance to come and talk informally to and about the subjects the boys are hoping to study at Key Stage 4.
To ensure your son makes the most appropriate choices for his future, we support him in a variety of ways through this process. We offer:
- Focused 'Options' assemblies
- Specific 'Careers' lessons within Personal Development
- One-to-one meetings with the careers advisor
- 'Taster' lessons in some new subjects
- Support from Head of Year, Tutor and Student Support Managers
- An Options Evening
- Offer of further meetings with various pastoral staff
Key contacts throughout this process are:
- Angela Walker - Careers Advisor
- Head of Year 8
- Mr Irwin - Deputy Headteacher
- Mrs Foster, Miss Jones & Mrs Chenery - Inclusion Support
- Subject teachers
Their personalised details can all be found under the "Contact Us" tab at the top of the website.