Advanced Sports Programme
What is the Advanced Sports Programme?
The Advanced Sports Programme at St Birinus is an initiative designed to support and develop our most talented sports performers and also provide guidance to those pupils wishing to perform at the highest level.
What happens after selection?
Students will be given a questionnaire to complete, enabling them to highlight their main areas of development, as well as giving details of their level of performance and the amount of time spent training or competing on a weekly basis. The Lead Teacher for the programme will then ensure that opportunities are offered in a bespoke manner to meet the needs of the students in the group and support provided during the competition season.
What opportunities will you have?
There will be opportunities for ASP pupils to:
- Attend termly sessions with a focus on certain aspects of sports development.
- Visits from key speakers relating to what it takes to be an elite sports performer.
- A visit to a University specialising in sporting excellence.
- Trips to top level sports events and venues.
- Provide support for aspiring performers by writing weekly articles for the Saint detailing their training and performance.
- Running events such as House competitions and Inter-form competitions.
- Supporting events with primary schools.
What have students done in the past?
- Pupil Diaries in the Saint.
- Spectate at T20 Cricket Match at Lords Cricket Ground
- In school seminar on Sports Nutrition and Performance.
- Guest Speaker: Ben Watson (Commonwealth Games Bronze Medallist in Weightlifting)